GeekGirlWeb™ has evolved into a space to share resources on learning to code, techniques for personal branding and career building through technology.
Around 14 I started teaching myself to code and I let my love of learning and sharing turn it into a career. I've been a 'Jill of all trades', having done full-stack (front-end, backend, servers) and have been able to teach kids to code through my non-profit CoderDojo NYC. Now I speak about technology with a special blend of mindfulness and authenticity.
I'm here to share:
- keeping your passions alive and learn by creating with technology
- how to open doors to opportunities and connections through personal branding
- creating the best version of you
More On My Story
In 2013 I was awarded as a U.S. White House Champion of Change for 'Tech Inclusion', in 2014 named one of Glamour Magazine's 'Top 35 Women Under 35 Changing the Tech Industry'. 2015 as one of AskMen's 'Top 99 Outstanding Women' and this year as Hispanicize's STEM Star. Previously I was a Developer Evangelist at Squarespace, CTO at Greatist, a Developer at Do Something and an Ambassador at the CoderDojo Foundation.
Born in Long Island, NY I'm first-generation American; of Filipino, Mexican and Japanese ancestry. I spent a few years in Boston studying business management before deciding to move to NYC to work full-time in technology.
In The Press
- Smart Learning Suite: Inspiring Tech Career Pathways for the Next Generation
- Crain's New York: Crains's Custom Hispanic Executive & Entrepreneur Awards
- Bric: Re-Programming: The Future of Equity in Tech
- Rolling Stone: 'Neopets': Inside Look at Early 2000s Internet Girl Culture
- Inc. : These 15 Emerging Female Tech Executives Are Ones to Follow
- Pacific Standard: Rebecca Garcia's Code for Social Change
- Latinabusiness.us: Rebecca Garcia, co-founder, CoderDojo NYC
- ID Tech: Inspires Students to Dream BIG
- LADYPOINTS: Rebecca Garcia (Web Developer)
- Microsoft: Coding Outside the Classroom CoderDojo NYC Teaches Children Computer Science Fundamentals
- Tote Mag: Coder Who Cares
- MARC FISHER LTD Announces Real Women Role Models Ambassadors for #MAKEYOURMARC Program
- craigconnects: 6 Women Using Tech to Change the World
- Latina Magazine: April 2015 Issue
- Fashnerd: Women Who Dare
- AskMen's Top 99 Outstanding Women 2015 #67 Rebecca Garcia
- PC Magazine: Who Are the Most 'Outstanding' Women in Tech
- MTV: AskMen’s 99 Outstanding Women List
- Verizon: Women in Tech: Start Valuating Your Potential
- CodeNewbie Podcast: Ep. 21 'Teaching Kids to Code'
- OK, Intrnt: Meet Rebecca Garcia - Geek Girl on the Web!
- Glamour Magazine's 'Top 35 Women Under 35 Who Are Changing The Tech Industry'
- Forensic Outreach's 2014 50 Most Incredible Women in STEM
- Skillcrush: 35 Amazing Women In Tech To Follow On Twitter
- NY Times: How to Get Girls Into Coding
- American Express: Open Forum: Girl Power: The Next Generation of Women in Tech
- Geekettes: NYC Geekette of the Month
- U.S. White House: Champions of Change: Tech Inclusion
- U.S. White House: Honoring Tech Inclusion Champions of Change
- NBC Latino: A “Champion of Change” teaches free computer coding to youth
- NBC Today Education Nation: STEM Girls
- Forbes: A Million Girls Coming to a Computer Science Class Near You
- Huffington Post: ICT for Good — Unleashing Next Gen Innovations
- Trend Wolves: European Trend Report 2013
- GMA: White House honors Fil-Am 'Technology Evangelist' Rebecca Garcia
- Reaching for Greatness Guide: Meet Rebecca Garcia, Co-Founder of CoderDojo NYC and "Technology Evangelist"
Photo Credit: Ron Gejon Photography